[R] AGREP

Duncan Murdoch dmurdoch at pair.com
Thu Feb 12 12:45:19 CET 2004

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 14:53:33 -0300, you wrote:

>	Hi all, I have two questions
>
>1 - I have the version 1.4.1 of R, and it doesn't have the 'agrep'
>function in the base library. Is there a way to make this funcion
>avaliable in R 1.4.1? I mean, how to 'copy' it from R 1.8.1 and 'paste'
>it in R 1.4.1?

The easiest way is to install 1.8.1.  There have been a *lot* of
improvements in R since 1.4.1

>2 - The AGREP function doesn't give me the Levenshtein distance (edit
>distance). Is there a function in R that does it? Is there a way to use
>AGREP to acomplish this task? I've written such a function, but it is so
>slow (has so many loops) that it is beeing useless.

I don't think there's a function, but I imagine this should be
possible.  You'd need to look at src/main/apse.c to find which
function returns this information, and then write code something like
do_agrep (in character.c) to call that function instead of calling
apse_match.

Duncan Murdoch