[R] Installation on Mac OS X 10.3.2 with Fink readline and headers

Michael Glaesemann grzm at myrealbox.com
Wed Feb 11 05:07:06 CET 2004

Hello!

I'd like to install R on my machine in order to work with Joe Conway's
pl/R in PostgreSQL. I'm running Mac OS X 10.3.2 with readline installed
via Fink. I downloaded the Rdevel.dmg, and installed first
Rframework.pkg and then Rapp.pkg. (I did not install the
J_libreadline.pkg, J_libxml2.pkg, or J_tcltk.pkg also included on the
disk image.) Both Rframework and Rapp installed apparently
successfully, but R wouldn't launch. Checking the console log, I
noticed this:

dyld:
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/1.9.0/Resources/bin/R.bin
can't open library: /usr/local/lib/libreadline.4.3.dylib  (No such file
or directory, errno = 2)

I know I have readline installed via Fink. As a hack, I created a
symbolic link in /usr/local/lib to /sw/lib/libreadline.4.3.dylib, which
is where Fink put it. Upon reinstalling Rframework.pkg and Rapp.pkg, it
seems to work. R launches and I've been able to do a few (very) simple
things.

In the README for pl/R, I find these notes:

     - R headers are required. Download and install R prior to building
       PL/R.

     - R must have been built with the --enable-R-shlib option when it
was
       configured, in order for the libR shared object library to be
available.

I tried to make pl/R, but I get this error:

*** Cannot build PL/R because libR is not a shared library.
*** You might have to rebuild your R installation.  Refer to
*** the documentation for details.

So it looks like the package installer does not do the equivalent of
building with --enable-R-shlib. I'm also wondering whether the R
headers are in a place where pl/R can find them.

Is there a way to specify my readline installation to the package
installer (instead of manually creating the symbolic link)? And is
there a way to install with --enable-R-shlib with the package
installer?

Thanks for any help. I've checked the archives and done a bit of
googling, but didn't find anything I thought was applicable.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com