[R] filled maps

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue Feb 3 11:34:06 CET 2004

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Janus Larsen wrote:

> Hi R-Help,
>
> I would like to make filled contour maps of ocean data overlaid by
> costlines from the map package.
> I can draw the filled contours and the coastlines om the same plot, but
> the filled contour also covers part of the land. To get rid of that I
> tried to draw a filled coastline map on top of the filled contour, but
> the filled map only draws the closed contours - so most of the land is
> missing.
> Example:
> map("worldHires",xlim=c(0,15),ylim=c(50,60)) #Draw relevant region
> (North Sea and Denmark waters)
> map("worldHires",xlim=c(0,15),ylim=c(50,60),fill=TRUE) # This only draws
> Denmark and Holland (Sweden, uk, Germany etc. disappears because they
> are not closed polygons).

Looks as though you can use the regions= argument:

> res <- map("worldHires",xlim=c(0,15),ylim=c(50,60), plot=FALSE,
+ namesonly=TRUE)
> res
 [1] "Denmark"                     "USSR"
 [3] "Netherlands"                 "Netherlands:IJsselmeer"
 [5] "France"                      "Czechoslovakia"
 [7] "Poland"                      "Germany"
 [9] "Luxembourg"                  "Belgium"
[11] "Norway"                      "Sweden"
[13] "Germany:Usedom"              "Netherlands:South"
[15] "Germany:Langeoog"            "Denmark:Mors"
[17] "Denmark:Mon"                 "Lake Fjerritslev"
[19] "UK:Great Britain"            "Denmark:Samso"
[21] "Netherlands:Ameland"         "Netherlands:Terschelling"
[23] "Denmark:Als"                 "Denmark:Sjaelland"
[25] "Denmark:Fyn"                 "Netherlands:Schiermonnikoog"
[27] "Denmark:Laeso"               "Sweden:Orust"
[29] "Germany:Borkum"              "Denmark:Lolland"
[31] "Netherlands:Texel"           "Netherlands:Flevoland"
[33] "Norway:Sunnhordland"         "UK:Isle of Sheppey"
[35] "Denmark:Langeland"           "Denmark:Bornholm"
[37] "Germany:Fehmarn"             "Germany:Rugen"
[39] "Germany:Norderney"           "Norway:Karmoy"
> map("worldHires",xlim=c(0,15),ylim=c(50,60))
> map("worldHires",regions=res, fill=TRUE, add=TRUE)

fixes it for me. Curiously, the longitudes add 2.5 degrees on each side.

Roger

PS. For film viewers who enjoyed "Good bye, Lenin!", we still provide
region="USSR" above!