[R] Supressing empty sections with Sweave

David Whiting david.whiting at ncl.ac.uk
Fri Dec 31 22:39:55 CET 2004

Mikkel Grum <mi2kelgrum at yahoo.com> writes:

Hi Mikkel,

One way would be to use cat("\\section{", diseaseName, "}\n") with if
(sum(matrixz) > 0) within a for loop (or perhaps using one of the
apply family of functions (probably lapply?)).  To some extent this
by-passes the separation of code and documentation that literal
programming is about but I couldn't think of a better way to solve the
problem just now.  Sorry this is not a full worked example, but I'm
off to the pub now for a few pints to welcome 2005.

Dave

> Dear useRs,
>
> I'm writing regular survey reports using Sweave. Each
> report has several sections along the lines of:
>
> \section*{Disease X}
>
> <<MapX,fig=TRUE,echo=FALSE>>=
> image(vectorx,vectory,matrixz)
>
> @
>
> Notes with or without Sexpr{a}.
>
> \vfill
>
> \pagebreak
>
> \section*{Disease Y}
> <<MapY,fig=TRUE,echo=FALSE>>=
> ...etc.
>

> Often one or more of the diseases is not observed (all
> values in matrixz are 0), in which case I would prefer
> not to display the section at all.  Does any one no
> whether it is possible automate this with Sweave?
>
> Mikkel

David Whiting
University of Newcastle upon Tyne, UK