[R] Prosodic/phonetic analysis with R

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk
Sun Dec 26 11:31:15 CET 2004

Hi Folks,

I'm interested in looking (in a beginner's amateurish way)
at prosodic/phonetic analysis of recorded speech.

In particular I would want to use R to formulate and
evaluate specific models.

So I would like to ask R people for their recommendations
for a program which would

a) Take as input a sound file in one of the common formats
   (".wav", ".au")

b) perform at least basic phonetic analysis (formants, F0,
   spectrograms, ... )

b) Save to file a representation of the basic phonetic
   analysis which it has done, in a form which R can readily
   import and use.

I've come across 'praat':

   http://www.praat.org

which seems to offer a spohisticated range of analyses, though
it's not too clear from the above URL what can be saved and
in what format.

I'd be grateful for any comments on using 'praat' with R,
and/or for any suggestions for other software with commments.
I only want to hear about software which (like 'praat') is
GPL or similar.

Thanks,
Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861  [NB: New number!]
Date: 26-Dec-04                                       Time: 10:31:14