[R] how to fit in R

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at wu-wien.ac.at
Wed Dec 22 16:10:28 CET 2004

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 15:12:48 +0100 Angela Re wrote:

> Good morning,
> in my work I need to study data distributions and so I  need to fit
> the experimental distribution by theoretical curves such as normal,
> Poison, binomial and so on.  I'd like to know, given a vector of data,
> for example
>
> x<-rnorm (1000, 10)
>
> if they follow a normal distribution. I'd like to do a fit (to
> estimate the parameters of the theoretical distribution) and then a
> goodness test.

For fitting distributions (via ML) look at
  ?fitdistr
in package MASS. Goodness-of-fit testing after the estimation of
parameters might not be straightforward, but there are several solutions
for testing normality in package nortest. Also look at ?shapiro.test and
?goodfit in package vcd.

All purpose gof tests are also available, see ?ks.test and ?chisq.test.