[R] downloading R

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Dec 22 15:07:08 CET 2004

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004, Michael Gray wrote:

> I have tried to download the latest version of the R program
> (rw2001.exe) from your website www.r-project.org onto my computer with

Unlikely, as it is not there.  I suspect it was from a CRAN mirror.

> Windows XP but with no success. Upon completion of the download (of the
> base distribution), I try to open the program and a error box appears
> saying 'the setup files are corrupted. Please obtain a new copy of the
> program'. I am unsure as to what the problem is and how to proceed. I
> would be grateful for any help, thank you for your assistance,

It means exactly what it says.  Your download is corrupted: we supply
md5sums for you to verify that the download is correct: please check them.

It might be that a local cache has a corrupted copy, so you might want to
try another mirror or refreshing the cache (if you can).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk