[R] erro in SVM (packsge "e1071")

João Mendes Moreira jmoreira at fe.up.pt
Mon Dec 20 19:52:30 CET 2004

The way I call SVM is:

i <- (-2)
j <- 4
learner='svm'
learner.pars=list(Duracao ~ ., data=orig.data,
   scale=c(FALSE, TRUE, TRUE, FALSE, FALSE, FALSE, TRUE,
    FALSE, FALSE, FALSE, FALSE, FALSE, FALSE,
    FALSE, FALSE, FALSE),
   type='nu-regression', kernel='linear',
   cost=2^(2*i), nu=j/10)
learner.pars$data <- orig.data[begin.test.pos:(test.pos-1),]

model <- do.call(learner,learner.pars)

The variables begin.test.pos and test.pos are windexes for orig.data and are
working well. in this case begin.test.pos = 1 and test.pos = 875.

orig.data is a data.frame where the second, third and seventh parameters are
numeric. The first parameter  is a date and all the others are factors (some
of them ordered). The ordered factors are: Dia Semana (week day), DiaAno
(day of the year), DiaMes (day of the month), SemanaAno (week of the year)
and SemanaMes (week of the month).
The first two lines of the orig.data data.frame are:
         Data       InicioViagem Duracao     DiaSemana  TipoDia EpocaEscolar
DiasDesdeUltPagamento DiaAno DiaMes FluxoEntrada FluxoSaida
13 2004-01-01        25056    3220        quinta-feira   feriado
normal                     9                        1             1
normal           fsp4
9  2004-01-01        28554    2866         quinta-feira   feriado
normal                     9                        1             1
normal           fsp4
            Modelo                  Motorista SemanaAno SemanaMes Servico
13    Mercedes_O530_N     10701         1             1
10597
9      Mercedes_O530_N     11292         1             1
10597

I am using sliding window with 30 days (around 900 records) for training.
The error is in the svm function. May be because SVM uses other functions,
but it happens when I run svm.

Thanks a lot for the help

Joao
FEUP - Engineering Faculty, Porto University
Engineering and Industrial Management group
Tel.: +351 22 508 1639
Fax: +351 22 508 1538