[R] Memory problem with jpeg() and wide jpegs

michael watson (IAH-C) michael.watson at bbsrc.ac.uk
Mon Dec 20 14:46:55 CET 2004

Hi

I have been creating very, very long jpeg images for the last two weeks
using jpeg().  All of a sudden, and I mean that, it's stopped working -
I've not changed a thing!  The error message I get is:

> jpeg("out.jpg",width=50000,height=480, quality=100)
Error in devga(paste("jpeg:", quality, ":", filename, sep = ""), width,
:
        unable to start device devga
In addition: Warning message:
Unable to allocate bitmap

I have plenty of disk space in the place I want to create the jpeg, and
if I reduce it from "width=50000" to "width=5000", then it works no
problem, which suggests it is a memory problem.  If I close R and
re-open R the problem does not go away.  And as I said above, I have
been using this code for weeks with no problem, then I change nothing,
and start getting this error message.

I'm running R 2.0.1 on Windows XP.  I'm going to restart Windows and see
if that helps, but if re-starting windows does help, is there an
explanation as to where all the memory R used to be able to get at
disappeared to in the current session?

Cheers
Mick