[R] SAS or R software

Austin, Matt maustin at amgen.com
Sat Dec 18 01:49:27 CET 2004

One point that is missing in this discussion is ease of review by the
statistician at the FDA.  As a statistician in clinical trials, you want to
make it as easy as possible for your colleague at the FDA to do their job,
so you put the programs in a format that they are more likely to find
useful.  As more reviewing statisticians are familiar with SAS than with
other statistical packages/languages, I feel more comfortable sending a
submission in SAS.

Reviewers do use the programs in a filing that were written for creation of
data sets and analysis to check for correct variable definitions and
appropriate analyses.  If the programs are written in a package/language
that the reviewer understands they can get their job done easier.

Given this, I have used S-Plus in regulatory work where it was clearly
stronger--at some point I hope to use R where it adds a clear benefit.  Of
course 95% of the statistical analyses that are performed for regulatory
submission can probably be done just as well with any of the major
statistical package/languages available.

$0.02

--Matt

Matt Austin
Statistician