[R] Is the page number in a document created with "pdf()" accessible?

Fri Dec 17 16:33:14 CET 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 06:45 -0800, Dennis Fisher wrote:
> When I create pdf documents in R using pdf(), each page has text in the
> outer margin indicating the page number.  I track page numbers in a
> cumbersome manner.  Is the page number in a multi-page document tracked
> internally by par() or some other function?

I am confused. Is the behavior of pdf() on Macs (I presume you are using
a Mac from your e-mail headers) different than on Linux?

If I create a single pdf() or postscript() document that contains
multiple plots using "onefile = TRUE", I do not get automatically
generated page numbers on each plot.

Are you embedding or reading the R generated PDF file in some other
application that reads the PDF file page sequence and then appends the
page number?

FWIW, a scan of the code in .../src/main/devPS.c, which I believe is
shared by the PDF device, indicates that the page counter variable
'pageno' is hard coded to start at 0 and increment by one for each new
page. Thus, it is not affected by other 'options' or 'pars'.

Unless I am missing something or the pdf() function behaves differently
on a Mac, I am not sure what and how you are seeing what you do.

In a vacuum, I would recommend that you create only one R plot per PDF
file, which would then enable you to control the page numbering in your
other application or to perhaps use pdflatex for greater control.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz