[R] MIME decoding in Mozilla Thunderbird

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Wed Dec 15 16:01:04 CET 2004

CG Pettersson wrote:
> Hello all!
> I recently switched mail program to Mozilla Thunderbird, running on W2k.
> Everything works fine, except the MIME-digests from this list. The
> decoding doesn´t work properly.
>
> I had contact with Martin Maechler some time ago, and he suggested a try
> on this list for ideas on how to do the decoding in Windows, even if
> it´s not a proper R-question.
>
> Outlook do the proper job on the MIME, but using that is to go a bit
> far! Or?
>
> /CG

Thunderbird, which is an otherwise wonderful mail client, does not work
for r-help digests.  The reason is that if you receive 100 messages in a
day, Thunderbird inefficiently handles all the mime 'attachments', and
navigating them all is incredibly slow.  I didn't have the decoding
problem you mentioned though.