[R] Moving standard deviation?

bogdan romocea br44114 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 13 21:26:46 CET 2004

A simple for loop does the job. Why not write your own function?

movsd <- function(series,lag)
{
movingsd <- vector(mode="numeric")
for (i in lag:length(series))
	{
	movingsd[i] <- sd(series[(i-lag+1):i])
	}
assign("movingsd",movingsd,.GlobalEnv)
}

This is very efficient: it takes (much) less time to write from
scratch than to look for an existing function.

HTH,
b.