[R] Is k equivalent to k:k ?

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Fri Dec 10 02:37:16 CET 2004

In this discussion of seq(), can anyone explain to me _why_
seq(to=n) and seq(length=3) have different types?
In fact, it's worse than that (R2.0.1):

    > storage.mode(seq(length=0))
    [1] "integer"
    > storage.mode(seq(length=1))
    [1] "double"

If you want to pass seq(length=n) to a .C or .Fortran call,
it's not helpful that you can't tell what the type is until you know n!
It would be nice if seq(length=n) always returned the same type.
I use seq(length=n) often instead of 1:n because I'd like my code to
work when n == 0; it would make life simpler if seq(length=n) and 1:n
were the same type.

Can anyone explain to me why the arguments of seq.default are
"from", "to", "by", "length.out", "along.with"
when the help page for seq documents them as
"from", "to", "by", "length", and "along"?