[R] Peak finding algorithm

Gene Cutler gcutler at amgen.com
Thu Dec 9 22:01:54 CET 2004

I'm sure there must be various peak-finding algorithms out there.  Not
knowing of any, I have written one myself*, but I thought I'd ask to
see what's out there.

Basically, I have a 2-dimensional data set and I want to identify local
peaks in the data, while ignoring "trivial" peaks.  My naive algorithm
first identifies every peak and valley (point of inflection change in
the graph), then shaves off shallow peaks and valleys based on an
arbitrary depth parameter, then returns whatever is left.  This
produces decent results, but, again, I'd like to know what other
implementations are available.

(* source available on request)