[R] "sequence of factor settings"?

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Thu Dec 9 17:27:28 CET 2004

Not sure I completely understood what you want.  If you have factors f1, f2,
..., fk with number of levels n1, n2, ..., nk, then there are n1 * n2 * ...
* nk possible combinations (what you called sequences).  Are you looking for
the 10 combinations that appear most often in a data set?  If so, I would
concatenate the factors together into a character vector (each element would
be a combination), then table() that, and look for the top 10.  The names()
of the output will correspond to the combinations.

HTH,
Andy