[R] Importing vector graphics into R

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk
Wed Dec 8 16:07:53 CET 2004

On 08-Dec-04 Jari Oksanen wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 15:53, Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk wrote:
>> On 08-Dec-04 Roger Bivand wrote:
>> > [...]
>> > No, nothing obvious. If you have an Xfig file - or convert to
>> > one from PS,
>>
>> How does one do that? None of the tools I can find on my (Linux)
>> system seem to include the possibility of PS->Xfig (or any other
>> vector format either, except of course PDF).
>>
> pstoedit. May not be in standard distros, but can be compiled from the
> source. Here we have even used pstoedit in post-processing eps graphs
> from R. It works in some cases, but, for instance, lattice graphic was
> made of polygons instead of lines, and we couldn't change line widths
> for horizontal lines only in panel headers.

Thanks to Jari Oksanen and Roger Bivand for reminding me of this.
(It turns out that I do have it on my oldest Linux -- ca. 1997 --
but not on my more recent ones. I can't remember now whether it
came with the distribution, or I installed it separately and then
forgot about it! Oh dear, I can't remember whether I forgot ... ).

According to the source website: http://www.pstoedit.net/pstoedit
it now seems to be extremely capable. I must try it!

Thanks,
Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861  [NB: New number!]
Date: 08-Dec-04                                       Time: 15:07:53