[R] Gam() function in R

Henric Nilsson henric.nilsson at statisticon.se
Mon Dec 6 12:14:14 CET 2004

At 10:48 2004-12-06 +0100, Yves Magliulo wrote:

>this subject is very intersting for me. I'm using mgcv 0.8-9 with R
>version 1.7.1.

You're in need of an update.

>i didn't know that there was an another gam version with
>package library(gam).

This is the 'classic' GAM implementation by Hastie & Tibshirani, discussed
at length in Hastie & Tibshirani (1990) and in the White book.

In fact, other implementations of the GAM concept also exists. Take a look
at the gss and assist packages; both are at CRAN, and the former is support
software for Gu's `Smoothing Spline ANOVA Models' book. There's also the
vgam http://www.stat.auckland.ac.nz/~yee/VGAM/ and SemiPar packages
http://web.maths.unsw.edu.au/~wand/webspr/rsplus.html; the latter is
support software for the `Semiparametric Regression' book by Ruppert, Wand
and Carroll. And there's probably more out there...

>  Someone can tell me the basics differences between
>them? I look for an help page on google but i only find "mgcv" help
>pages.

Simon Wood (author of the mgcv package) has written a brief but useful
summary: http://www.stats.gla.ac.uk/~simon/simon/mgcv_overview.html

HTH,
Henric