[R] boot package

Ernesto Jardim ernesto at ipimar.pt
Sun Dec 5 15:42:35 CET 2004

On Sun, 2004-12-05 at 01:37, Nathan Leon Pace, MD, MStat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I using the boot package 1.2-20 on R 2.0.1.
>
> My statistics function estimates 6 parameters.
>
> In a small percentage of resampled data sets my statistics function
> doesn't produce an estimate for one parameter and the boot function
> stops with an error.
>
> I can write an ifelse(exists('parameter.estimate'), parameter.estimate,
> NA) statement within the statistic function to substitute an NA for the
> missing estimate value.
>
> However, the boot.ci function to generate CIs from the boot object
> won't accept NAs.
>
> My problem is writing code to impute a numeric value for the missing
> estimate. ifelse won't generate a numeric value if the test is mode
> logical.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Nathan

Hi Nathan,

I had this problem also. The boot package assumes that the bootstrap
statistic has all ways the same dimension. The way I found to over come
this was to create a vector with the number of dimensions my statistic
was suppose to have and allocate each dimension to is own place on the
vector. Whenever you have a statistic with less dimensions you get an NA
or 0 or whatever you want, on that vector position.

Regards

EJ