[R] How about a mascot for R?

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Sat Dec 4 15:19:40 CET 2004

	  <........>

    DScottNZ> As to an animal mascot, I think a New Zealand
    DScottNZ> mascot is a must,

well, thinking that "must" is bit strong, I agree that
I have had the same idea (NZ animal) before your post.
I first thought of the obvious Kiwi, but hoping for something
more beautiful had been googling around for "New Zealand animals",
then had been side tracted by the Kakapo which I found nice,
intriguing, but in his fight against extinction didn't seem to
fit to my notion of R..

    DScottNZ> and suggestions of Australian
    DScottNZ> ones would not be warmly received by New
    DScottNZ> Zealanders. (To clarify, despite the address, I am
    DScottNZ> Australian.)

    DScottNZ> My suggestion is the Kea: inquisitive and intelligent. See:

    DScottNZ> http://www.doc.govt.nz/Conservation/001~Plants-and-Animals/001~Native-Animals/Kea.asp

Yesterday, when I posed the question at our group's coffee
break, someone also immediately mentioned the Kea.

Given all the "things" I've read in the mean time, I did like
the "R-madillo" from it's name, but then, from an aesthetic
point of view, I'd also vote for the Kea.  OTOH, before getting
into more, I'd also like to hear from R & R -- particularly
about the "must" part...

Another thought that I think hasn't been raise: The mascot
should typically also be representable as a monochrome "line
drawing" (such as the O'Reilly book covers), and also be
somewhat easily identifiable from a relatively small
(eg. 32 x 32 ?) icons, since presumably it would eventually
replace the current R logo, at least in some places.

Also, is anyone willing to put up a web site collecting the
proposals and maybe also allowing to collect votes?
Though, I'm not at all sure we will reach that state.

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich