[R] How about a mascot for R?
Richard A. O'Keefe
ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Fri Dec 3 02:18:47 CET 2004
Given R's origin in Auckland, NZ, perhaps something a little less
North American than a raccoon might be appropriate.
If a mascot didn't have to be animate, a pohutakawa flower
(metrosideros excelsa) would be an excellent choice:
- The Pohutakawa is called 'The New Zealand Christmas Tree',
the flowers are red, the leaves are green, it flowers around Christmas,
and R has been a real "Christmas present" to the world
- The Pohutakawa tree is not a particularly beautiful tree, but it's
pretty tough, thriving on coastal cliffs. They can grow fairly big,
can be bigger than an oak tree.
- The flower is a bottlebrush; think of it as a "vectorised" flower and
its aptness for R is obvious.
- The Metrosideros genus is wider spread (it's also in the Kermadec
Islands, Australia, and Hawaii) and the Pohutakawa proper is now
found in many parts of Australia.
- An image of a Pohutakawa flower would just be so gorgeous.
More information about the R-help