[R] A somewhat off the line question to a log normal distribution

Siegfried Gonzi siegfried.gonzi at stud.uni-graz.at
Thu Dec 2 10:18:10 CET 2004

Hello:

Oh yes I know it isn't so much related to R, but I gather there are a
lot of statisticians reading the mailing list.

My boss repeatedly tried to explain me the following.

==
Lets assume you have got daily measurements of a variable in natural
sciences. It turned out that the aformentioned daily measurements follow
a log-normal distribution when considered over the course of a year.
Okay. He also tried to explain me that the monthly means (based on the
daily measurements) must follow a log-normal distribution too then over
the course of a year.
==

I somehow get his explanation.

But I have measurements which are log-normal distributed when evaluated
on a daily basis over the course of a year  but they are close to a
Gaussian distribution when considered under the light of monthly means
over the course of a year.

Is such a latter case feasible. And if not why.

Regards,
Siegfried Gonzi