[R] Protocol for answering basic questions

Henrik Bengtsson hb at maths.lth.se
Wed Dec 1 21:02:46 CET 2004

PROBLEM:
To many "beginners questions" are send to the r-help list cluttering up the
mailbox making it hard to see "real" questions.

OBJECTIVE:
To get fewer "beginners questions".

CURRENT SOLUTION:
Being "rude". I don't like the word rude here, but that's the word used in
this thread.

Will we get less beginners questions by being rude? It will certainly
prevent people from doing the same "mistake" again, but it does obviously
not prevent (some? most? any?) *first-time* submitters.

The first "PLEASE do read the posting guide!" you will see is when you sign
up (https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help), but that, I bet, is
missed by many eagerly scrolling down to fill in their email adress (I doubt
there is a solution to this). The second one is when they start received
messages from the list, which might be in a reply to your own very first
question asking you to "PLEASE do read the posting guide!".

TECHNICAL SOLUTION?
1) Is it possible in MailMan to force beginners to read the FAQ before
their, say, first ten messages get through to the r-help list?

2) In addition, it could be useful to anyone who replies to see for how long
the person has been on the list, or how many questions he or she has asked
and how many questions he or she has answered. Having this information, in
addition to helping you to answer a question, I assume the one who receives
an answer could see what "experience" the answerer has. Of course, counters
are just proxies, but it would indeed work almost automatically.

I skimmed through the MailMan pages/docs
(http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/), but could not find anything on this.
[ Maybe I should send a "beginners question" to their list(s!) ;) ]

3) I have been thinking to do a first proof-of-concept of the following many
time. It should be straightforward to have a popup message (tcltk or at the
prompt) when starting R giving you a random tip or FAQ. Experiences users
will know how to turn this off (hmm, maybe this will generate "How can I
turn of the tip/FAQ message?" questions). I'll see if I ever get the time to
do this. I believe this would be useful not only for basic R, but for many
large package.

Best wishes

Henrik Bengtsson