[R] chisq.test probabilities method unclear

Alexander Keller biotopia at biotopia.info
Wed Dec 1 20:47:40 CET 2004

Hi list,

i've got a question about the chisq.test function.
in the use of the "given probabilities" method  (p= ...), normally
there should be typed in probabilities in the range of 0 to 1 with the
absolute sum of 1.0 (r-help)
But it is possible to use probabilities > than 1. or the sum <1.!
without any warning message

Ok, now the question, what does r calcutate in these cases,
this doesn't make sense in my (poor statistical) view.

i thought it might calculate relations, but it differs in the results
(example: of typing p=c(1,1,1,1), p=c(6,6,6,6),
p=c(0.25,0.25,0.25,0.25))

can someone tell my about this chisq method, and perhaps show me an
explaining example?

thank you,
Alex Keller