[R] Protocol for answering basic questions

Fowler, Mark FowlerM at mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Wed Dec 1 18:42:28 CET 2004

Although I agree that sometimes a response to a question seems rude, and
some degree of arrogance asserts itself from time to time (actually appears
to cycle), I don't see what in the nature of the commercial S environment
rectifies this problem. I've been using S since the late 80's, R for less
than a year. The only substantive difference in obtaining assistance for
[statistics-related] problems, that I've perceived, would simply be the
volume of questions. R has a couple of orders of magnitude on S in this
respect, restricting the observation to the period since the last change in
ownership of S (previously S had much more question traffic). But other than
the volume, I really don't see a difference. The only circumstances for
which I've noted an advantage of S over R in terms of responding to
questions are concerned with programming the interface and server
applications, where the problems may often require the knowledge of S
development staff to resolve (or not), and they are pretty good about
intercepting questions that might better have been directed to them.

If one considers the number of times we see a question we feel was frivolous
for lack of effort, versus the number of times we see a response we feel was
unwarranted for lack of consideration, is there much difference, or are we
maybe as close to the line as we could reasonably expect to be.