[R] Rcmdr X11 protocol error message

Michael Bibo mbibo at qldnet.com.au
Tue Aug 31 18:58:16 CEST 2004

John Fox <jfox <at> mcmaster.ca> writes:

> Dear Michael,
>
> A question: Do you observe these problems with tcltk in general or just with
> the Rcmdr package? Is it possible for you to test a Tcl/Tk program outside
> of R?

And Peter asked which version of Tcl/Tk.

Apparently my system has version 8.4 installed, specifically:
Tcl-8.4.5-3-mdk (tclsh8.4) and Tk-8.4.5-3-mdk (libtk8.4.so).  As I understand
it, these are installed from RPMs on the installation DVD, and I note that they
are mandrake specific.

John - I wasn't sure if I had any other Tcl/Tk applications installed (it's not
always obvious when installing from RPM's).  I have certainly not encountered
these error messages with any other application.  I quickly downloaded "WISH
Supernotepad 1.2.3".  This application requires Tcl/Tk 8.4 or greater.  There
are no graphics window in this application, but plenty of dialogue boxes.  It
gave no errors.  Is this an appropriate test?

If this is a mandrake-configuration-specific problem, it may not be worth
spending too much time investigating, as R Commandr still works.  I can always
try re-installing Tcl/Tk from source when/if I have time.

Regards,

Michael