[R] importing data in excel

Warnes, Gregory R gregory_r_warnes at groton.pfizer.com
Mon Aug 30 14:46:02 CEST 2004

If you need to load Excel data *into* R, you can use the read.excel()
function in the gregmisc package (note that Perl must be installed) to read
MS-Excel .xls files.

A better option is to simply save the data out as a tab-delimited text file
and then use

read.table(file="<filename>", sep="\t")

If you want to save R data in a form that MS-Excel will be happy with, use

write.table( <object>, file="<filename>.xls", sep="\t"))

-Greg