[R] read.spss warning: unrecognized record type??

Michael Jerosch-Herold jeroschh at ohsu.edu
Fri Aug 27 02:55:17 CEST 2004

When using read.spss (library: 'foreign') I get the following warning
message:

Warning message:
E:/R4win/mesamri.sav: Unrecognized record type 7, subtype 13
encountered in system file.

I don't see anything wrong with record #7 in the database I am trying
to read in, but I suspect that the warning message does not refer to a
specific record, but a "variable" type. Is this correct? And what does
"subtype 13" mean?

I basically have a data table with records (cases) in rows, and various
variables for each record/case in the columns. Again, I suspect that I
am using "record" in a different sense then meant by the above warning
message.

Based on this warning, is "record type 7" discarded when the data are
read in?

Thank you in advance for shedding some light on this!

Michael Jerosch-Herold