[R] Plotting groupedData objects

David Scott d.scott at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Aug 27 00:10:20 CEST 2004

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, Deepayan Sarkar wrote:

> Quoting David Scott <d.scott at auckland.ac.nz>:
>

> > I am trying to create a plot similar to Figure 3.2 in Bates and Pinheiro.
> >
> > I have repeated measurements on about 80 subjects from 2 treatment groups.
> > I would like to have the panels for the two treatment groups in separate
> > groups and within those groups have the panels ordered on maximum value
> > (as is the default).
> >
> > I am ok with getting plots similar to Figs 3.1 and 3.2, but can't see how
> > to change the ordering of the panels to what I want.
> >
> > Here is the definition of my groupedData object
> >
> > RAWlmeData <- groupedData(RAW~Elapsed|ID,
> >               data=RAWData,
> >               labels=list(x="Elapsed time",y="Airways resistance"),
> >               units=list(x="(hours)",y="cm H20/L/sec"))
> >
> > I guess I could just plot the two treatment groups separately in turn but
> > I feel there is something I am missing.
>
> My reading of page 105 suggests that you need to specify
> 'outer=<whatever your grouping factor is>'.
> Have you tried that?

I did try that. It produces Fig 3.3 with multiple lines giving the results
for each subject by treatment. With around 40 subjects per treatment
group, that isn't very attractive in my case.

I should also mention that I looked for on-line complements to Pinheiro
and Bates, and found MEMSS.tar.gz on
http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/ms/departments/sia/NLME/MEMSS/index.html
which promised scripts for the examples in the book but turned out to have
only chapters 1 and 2, and for S-PLUS rather than R (going on the .q
extension).

David Scott

David Scott	Department of Statistics, Tamaki Campus
		The University of Auckland, PB 92019
		Auckland	NEW ZEALAND
Phone: +64 9 373 7599 ext 86830		Fax: +64 9 373 7000
Email:	d.scott at auckland.ac.nz

Graduate Officer, Department of Statistics