[R] image recognition in R

Philippe Grosjean phgrosjean at sciviews.org
Thu Aug 26 13:45:00 CEST 2004

Hello,

Yes, UTHSCSA Image Tools is a good package too, but it is less powerful than
ImageJ and it is not updated since quite a long time. There is an active
development of ImageJ, plenty of plugins, and an easier interface to make
its own plugins and scripts than in image tools. So, unless someone decide
to continue the development of Image Tools, ImageJ is probably a better
choice.

Also, taxonomic classification of bugs (as in the initial request) or
plancton, is a rather difficult tasks that deserves all the power and
flexibility you can get in R. So, I think Angel Lopez is in a better way in
importing data to R and working there. Automatic classification in Image
Tools and ImageJ could be useful in some situations, but it is not powerful
in this case.

Best,

Philippe Grosjean

..............................................<°}))><........
 ) ) ) ) )
( ( ( ( (    Prof. Philippe Grosjean
 ) ) ) ) )
( ( ( ( (    Numerical Ecology of Aquatic Systems
 ) ) ) ) )   Mons-Hainaut University, Pentagone
( ( ( ( (    Academie Universitaire Wallonie-Bruxelles
 ) ) ) ) )   8, av du Champ de Mars, 7000 Mons, Belgium
( ( ( ( (
 ) ) ) ) )   phone: + 32.65.37.34.97, fax: + 32.65.37.33.12
( ( ( ( (    email: Philippe.Grosjean at umh.ac.be
 ) ) ) ) )
( ( ( ( (    SciViews coordinator (http://www.sciviews.org)
 ) ) ) ) )