[R] library() (was Adding labels to variables)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Aug 26 07:52:56 CEST 2004

Can I remind people to use a relevant subject line -- this has gone way
off the original topic.

It is not proposed to just rename library() to usePackage() or similar.
The need is for a new interface to the loading of packages, one that
returns useful information in an object.  We also need to sort out the
mess of require() vs library(), especially as `require' does not actually
require its argument (and almost no one tests the return value).  I don't
think it is going to make 2.0.0, though.

Incidentally, the section heading Bert Gunter quoted does not indicate
that `library' is a synonym for `package', but that packages are installed
into libraries.  In S, `library sections' are installed into libraries.

Spencer should be very happy that data() will be almost completely
optional come 2.0.0: that's the R/S difference that most hurts writing
common documentation in my experience.