[R] image recognition in R

Angel Lopez angel_lul at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 25 12:05:04 CEST 2004

I have some images of bugs (insects) with many bugs in each image.
I want to count the number of bugs and to have an estimate of the area
of each one.
I've tried searching for an R package to do so with no success. Is this
a task that I should pursue doing in R or should I restrict myself to
specific image analysis software (e.g. ImageJ)?.

The reason I consider R would be a good choice is because then It would
probably be possible to use R statistical power to do pattern
recognition on each bug's image to try to identify each bug (Family,
genus or species).
Is anybody working in this direction?
Thanks,
Angel