[R] how to in XML on windows XP for R 1.9.1

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Aug 24 18:31:18 CEST 2004

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 szhan at uoguelph.ca wrote:

> Hello, Uwe,
> Thank you all for your reply!
> I installed binary packages XML_0.97.0.zip by "Install package(s) from local zip
> file" and followed instruction in the doc:

That's not the instructions in the README!

>  you will have to add the XML/libs
> directory to your path.  Putting them into the
> directory which contains Rgui.exe and Rterm.exe for this
> version of R is probably best.
> I then put add the XML/libs directory to director rw1091/bin, but it still gave
> messagae like this:

What it actually says is

but to use it in R, you will have to add the XML/libs
directory to your path or copy the files
  libxml2.dll zlib.dll iconv.dll
to a directory in your path.  Putting them into the
directory which contains Rgui.exe and Rterm.exe for this
version of R is probably best.

and there are no such files in the distribution.

> > library("XML")
> Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
>         unable to load shared library
> "C:/PROGRA~1/R/rw1091/library/XML/libs/XML.dll":
>   LoadLibrary failure:  The specified module could not be found.
> Error in library("XML") : package/namespace load failed
> What should I do now?

Asking Uwe questions about a package his ReadMe explicitly says he does
not support is unfair.

Since XML_0.97-0 is not a CRAN package, please ask its author
directly.  It depends on a libxml2.dll (etc) he has not included.

[This is part of the reason why I statically link libxml into the port of
XML that I make available.  Another is that with a dynamic link the
internet connection possibilities do not work correctly, at least when I
build it.

Another issue is that you need different builds for different versions of
R, and www.omegahat.org/RSXML does not say which it was built for.]