[R] R on windows problem

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Aug 23 23:19:31 CEST 2004

Please do as the posting guide asks and use a sensible subject line.

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004, Andrew Harrison wrote:

> 	I've installed several versions of R on a number of Window
> systems. I get the following error message (which I don't get on linux)
>
> > dev2bitmap(file="test.jpeg",type="jpeg")
> Error in system(paste(gsexe, "-help"), intern = TRUE, invisible = TRUE) :
>         gswin32c.exe not found
>
> Any idea how to fix this? It seems common to all windows systems I've
> tried. Is there a package I can install that will correct this?

You:

1) Read the help page, on Windows.

     You will need a version of 'ghostscript' (5.10 and later have been
     tested): the full path to the executable can be set by the
     environment variable 'R_GSCMD'.

2) Install 'ghostscript' as it says.  If googling for that is beyond you,
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/ should get you started.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk