[R] Partial Least Squares

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sat Aug 21 02:47:42 CEST 2004

      Did you "read the posting guide!
http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html"?  In particular, did you
try www.r-project.org -> search -> "R site search" for "partial least
squares"?  I just got 65 hits for "partial least squares".  Some were
not relevant, but many were.  I also got 9 hits for "nipals", all of
which seemed relevant.

      Also, have you considered "sem" (structural equation modeling)?
 From what I've heard, partial least squares started out as a solution
without a clear problem statement, i.e., an algorithm claiming to solve
a problem but without a clear statement of a probability model for which
their algorithm produced the (approximate) maximum likelihood or
Bayesian posterior mode.  Structural equation modeling, by contrast,
provides the model and problem statement that partial least squares
seems to try to solve.  I got this impression from reading the PLS
article in the Encyclopedia of Statistical Sciences.

      hope this helps.  spencer graves