[R] OS X specific question: help.start() won't launch

Brunsdon C (Comp) cbrunsdo at glam.ac.uk
Thu Aug 19 11:56:06 CEST 2004

I've got the same problem with help.start().  It seems to be a problem with
the 'open'
command when executed through R's 'system' function -

ie system('open something.html')

gives an error message,  whilst opening a new xterm (or console)
and entering

open something.html

works fine (here 'something.html' is the same in both cases.)

My current work-around is to enter
debug(browseURL)

- this function is called by help.start -
and then to 'catch' the name of the url that is meant to be opened
by stepping through the function until the final 'system' command and
looking at
the variable 'quotedURL'.  I then open a new xterm and enter the open
command
with the value of quotedURL. Once this is done,  I make sure I don't
close the help window for the rest of my R session!

I'm sure there must be a better way than this - perhaps somebody out there
can help.
Some other bits of info may be useful -

1) This only started happening when I upgraded to OS X 10.3.5
2) The error message I get when I try to execute 'open' from the system
function
   is as follows
   dyld: /usr/bin/open version mismatch for library.
/usr/local/lib/libxml2.2.dylib
   (compatibility version of user: 9.0.0 greater than library's version
8.0.0)
3) I'm using R 1.9.1

Chris