[R] glmmPQL in R and S-PLUS 6 - differing results

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Aug 19 08:35:57 CEST 2004

glmmPQL calls lme, and it is that which differs between S-PLUS and R.

These are optimization problems with multiple local maxima, and like any
complex statistical fitting problem you should not expect all programs to
give the same answer.  The short answer is to believe all of them, and to
check the usefulnees of the answer for your criteria.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk