[R] Re: Thanks Frank, setting graph parameters, and why socialscientists don't use R

David Foreman David_Foreman at doctors.net.uk
Wed Aug 18 13:16:00 CEST 2004

Medicine in the UK uses (or used, it's changing) the 'apprenticeship model' which in my case meant my own datasets (providing the motivation) the programme and its supporting written documentation (SPSS manuals double as quite good statistical textbooks, so I could link the concepts to the software) and various supervisors and referees (providing ego-bruising feedback).  I found the courses I attended distinctly unmemorable, no matter how ego-syntonic they were, largely because I didn't care about the sample datasets supplied. Other students I have known and taught/supervised report similar experiences.