[R] Giving a first good impression of R to Social Scientists

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sat Aug 14 04:40:29 CEST 2004

      I think I agree with Prof. Lumley:   For me, R would likely be the
platform of choice for most new statistical algorithm development.  It
has a steep learning curve, and I would therefore not recommend it for
anyone who would not likely be involved in this kind of activity (unless
my target audience could not afford simpler software that could handle
the problems they will most likely encounter).  Moreover, the learning
curve could be even more difficult for many social scientists than for
statisticians, mathematicians, engineers, physical scientists, who might
more likely have more background in vector spaces and programming in
other language(s).

      I'm concerned that the time they spend learning R syntax might
reduce substantially the time they have for learning statistical
concepts that might be more important for them in the long term.  I
retract this reservations if, for example, the target audience already
knows something about structural equation modeling and want to extend
the R "sem" package for novel applications.

      hope this helps.  spencer graves