[R] [R-pkgs] "new" package fortunes 1.0-3

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at wu-wien.ac.at
Thu Aug 12 20:01:47 CEST 2004

Dear useRs,

I used the summer months to work on all of my packages,
and so this is the first of a sequence of announcements
of "new" or updated packages. The "new" packages are new
in the sense that previous versions had been on CRAN for
some months but hadn't been announced to the R community
via this list until now.

All packages are available from the CRAN master site
in source form - binary versions should be available
from the mirrors in the next days.

So the first announcement is for fortunes 1.0-3:

The fortunes package provides simple infrastructure for
reading fortunes from a .csv file and displaying them.
Furthermore, it contains a growing list of fortunes
related to R, mainly collected from the mailing lists
but also from quotes at conferences. The author list
contains me (as I've written the R code) as well as
the people who contributed quotes by sending me a mail.
The original "authors" of each quote are always given
in the respective fortune.

For those of you who want to see a quote each time they
start up R: you can add to your .Rprofile something like

if(interactive()) { library(fortunes); fortune() }

If you want to create your own list of fortunes you can
simply add another fortune collection in .csv format.
Of course, it would also be great if you could contribute
some quotes to the package...simply send me an e-mail.

Enjoy!

Package: fortunes
Version: 1.0-3