[R] R packages install problems linux - X not found (WhiteBoxEL 3)

Tue Aug 10 16:30:21 CEST 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 08:15, Dr Mike Waters wrote:

<snip>

> >From unpacking the tarball and running ./configure in the R source
> directory, I obtain the fact that crti.o is needed by ld.so and was not
> found. This file is not present on the system. This file, along with crtn.o
> is usually installed by the gnu libc packages, I believe. However, I know
> that not all *nix distributions include these files among their packages.
> >From a web search, I have not been able to ascertain whether this lack of a
> crti.o is due to there not being one in the distribution, or to another
> incomplete package install.
>
> So, I did a completely fresh installation of WhiteBox, followed by R built
> from source, checked that it ran and then installed the R packages. Only
> then did I run up2date. At least crti.o and crtn.o are still there this
> time, along with the XFree86 includes.....
>
> A bit of a cautionary tale, all in all.
>
> Thanks for all the help and support.
>
> Regards

Mike,

>From my FC2 system:

$ rpm -qf /usr/lib/crti.o
glibc-devel-2.3.3-27

$ rpm -qf /usr/lib/crtn.o
glibc-devel-2.3.3-27

So, you are correct relative to the source of these two files. A follow
up question might be, did you include the "devel" packages during your
initial install? If not, that would explain the lack of these files. if
you did, then it would add another data point to support the notion that
your system was, to some level, compromised and a clean install was
probably needed, rather than just trying to re-create the RPM database.

Glad that you are up and running at this point. Given Martyn's follow up
messages, it looks like there may be an issue with the RH9 RPM, so for
the time being using the source tarball would be appropriate.

Best regards,

Marc