[R] hclust-segmentation fault

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Aug 9 18:15:51 CEST 2004

    MarioM> Well, the use of debugger will take some time
well
did you try

    R -d gdb

    <... GDB welcome messages....>
    <... GDB welcome messages....>

    run

and then the R commands and after the segmentation fault, simply
    bt
        { = 'backtrace' =^=  traceback() in R }
?

    MarioM> but here is a simple code that invariably causes the
    MarioM> fault.  Mario.

     indata <- matrix(rnorm(1000,0,1),ncol=10)
     ed <- dist(indata)
     hc.e <- hclust(ed,"average")

to make this really reproducible you'd have to give a
    set.seed(<n>)
at the beginning. But since you say it's "invariably", that's ok.
As for Prof Ripley's, these R calls also work here on our Opteron
machine w/o a problem.

Martin Maechler