[R] Installing RMySQL on Windows XP for R 1.9.1

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Aug 9 12:22:26 CEST 2004

You do need a binary version of  RMySQL.

See http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/1.9/@ReadMe
which tells you to get it from

http://stat.bell-labs.com/RS-DBI/download

the very page you got the sources from.  I do think you should read all of
the pages you look at, as in both cases you have ignored crucial
information.

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004, Henrik Bengtsson wrote:

> Hi, I cannot help you install RMySQL on Windows, but most likely RMySQL
> contains non-R code too, such as C code, that requires compilation and then
> your gunzip-untar-rezip approach will not work.

It never works, and no one said it did.  The rw-FAQ answers this question,
and the message in the archives said

	Please consult the rw-FAQ for how to install packages.

> For your information, you can use the RODBC package instead. I recently
> downloaded and installed a MySQL server on my Windows XP *Pro* machine. Then
> I use the RODBC package (on CRAN and installs directly on Windows) to
> connect to it. In order for this to work you have to have an ODBC service
> running on your machine. You will find one for most Windows versions called
> MyODBC on the mysql.com download pages (links at the right margin). When it
> works you will be connected to you db from R by
>
> library(RODBC)
> channel <- odbcConnect("MyDatabase", uid="root")   # or some other username
> df <- sqlQuery("select * from myTable")
>
> See also ?RODBC. I just did the above two days ago from scratch and it was
> pretty easy. I won't time to help you more now since I'm writing up my
> thesis...
>
> Cheers
>
> Henrik Bengtsson

It was *very* helpful.  Your failure to read the rw-FAQ was unhelpful.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk