[R] configure problem - mixed fortran/c

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Fri Apr 30 15:24:27 CEST 2004

I'm trying to build R 1.9.0 to get the opportunity to build rpy for some
folks at my office.  (I'm a Python guy, not an R guy, so I'm completely
unfamiliar with the machinations of building R.)  I'm having trouble getting
past the configure step.  A plain old configure generates this output at the
end:

    checking whether we can compute C Make dependencies... yes, using gcc -MM
    checking whether gcc supports -c -o FILE.lo... yes
    checking how to get verbose linking output from g77... -v
    checking for Fortran libraries of g77...  -L/usr/ccs/lib -L/usr/lib -L/usr/local/lib -L/opt/lang/gcc-g77-3.3.2/lib/gcc-lib/i386-pc-solaris2.8/3.3.2 -L/usr/ccs/bin -L/opt/lang/gcc-g77-3.3.2/lib/gcc-lib/i386-pc-solaris2.8/3.3.2/../../.. -lfrtbegin -lg2c -lm -lgcc_s
    checking for dummy main to link with Fortran libraries... none
    checking for Fortran name-mangling scheme... lower case, underscore, extra underscore
    checking whether g77 appends underscores to external names... yes
    checking whether mixed C/Fortran code can be run... configure: WARNING: cannot run mixed C/Fortan code
    configure: error: Maybe check LDFLAGS for paths to Fortran libraries?

I'm having trouble deciphering what exactly the configure script is testing
at that point.  Based upon the message it emitted last it looks like it's
trying to link conftestf.o and conftest.o (around line 25747), but in the
config.log file I don't see it getting that far (around line 25500).  I saw
no obvious configure options which would allow me to worm around this
problem.

My environment is:

    Solaris 9 on Intel
    gcc and g77 3.3.2

Any suggestions to help get this beast built would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

--
Skip Montanaro
Got gigs? http://www.musi-cal.com/submit.html