[R] Rtemp directories accumulating over time

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Apr 30 14:20:56 CEST 2004

I've found a couple of things.  The issue is a `sharing violation', which
although it is documented that another process is accessing the dir, it
can be the same process.

Guido's code in R_ShowFiles opened a FindFirst handle and failed to close
it, so sessions using file.show() on temporary files had a sharing
violation.  Leaving a file connection open can also do this, and I found
one example in reg-tests-1.R.

The issue remains that on most OSes you can unlink files which are in use,
and on Windows you cannot, *and* `in use' can be in non-obvious ways and
differ for plain files and for directories.