[R] p-values

Lucke, Joseph F LUCKE at uthscsa.edu
Thu Apr 29 18:36:10 CEST 2004

One might begin by considering _conditional_ p-values as elaborated by
Hubbard and Bayarri and especially Sellke, Bayarri, and Berger.

Record Number: 1545
@article{
Hubbard2003,
   Author = {Hubbard, R. and Bayarri, M. J.},
   Title = {Confusion over measures of evidence ($p$)'s versus errors
($\alpha$'s) in classical statistical testing},
   Journal = {The American Statistician},
   Volume = {57},
   Number = {3},
   Pages = {171--182},
   Abstract = {Confusion surrounding the reporting and interpretation of
results of classical statistical tests is widespread among applied
researchers, most of who erroneously believe that such tests are prescribed
by a single coherent theory of statistical evidence.},
 Keywords = {p-values; Bayesian analysis; Fisher; hypothesis test;
conditional error probabilities; conditional alpha; Bayes factor; posterior
probability; significance probability; significance test; Neyman-Pearson
Theory;},
 Year = {2003} }

Record Number: 1546
@article{
Sellke2001,
   Author = {Sellke, T. and Bayarri, M. J. and Berger, J. O.},
   Title = {Calibration of $p$ values for testing precise null hypotheses.},
   Journal = {The American Statistician},
   Volume = {55},
   Number = {1},
   Pages = {62--71},
   Abstract = {$P$ values are the most commonly used toll to measure
evidence against a hypothesis or hypothesized model.  Unfortunately, they
are often incorrectly viewed as an error probability for rejection of the
hypothesis or, even worse, as the posterior probability that the hypothesis
is true.},
 Keywords = {Bayes factor; Bayesian robustness; conditional alpha;
conditional error probabilities; odds;},
 Year = {2001} }

Joe