[R] Rtemp directories accumulating over time

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Apr 28 14:53:42 CEST 2004

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 kjetil at acelerate.com wrote:

> There is a nuisance that the number of directories with name starting
> Rtmp (and always empty) in my temp directory is increasing over time.
>
> I put the following in my  .Rprofile:
>
> tmp0001 <- tempdir()
> setHook( packageEvent("base","onUnload"),
>       function(...) unlink( tmp0001, recursive=TRUE) )
>

> which solves part of the problem, but not all.

I don't see why: package base is never unloaded so that hook function is
never run.  (Indeed, no package/namespace is unloaded except by
explicit user action, in particular not when R is terminated.)

> So there are also other tmpdirs made by R. Why, where, and why are they
> not removed at exit (when their content are removed)?

They are removed by R.  This is a Windows-only bug, as Windows sometimes
does not act on commands to remove empty directories (but only sometimes).
Session temporary directories should only be left around when a session
crashes.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk