[R] coding of categories in rpart

Prabhakar Krishnamurthy Prabhakar at Metreo.com
Tue Apr 27 20:40:26 CEST 2004

Hello,

I am using rpart to derive classification rules for customer segments.
I have a few categorical variables in the set of independent variables.
For instance,

Account Size can be (Very-Small, Small, Medium, Large, V-Large)

Rpart seems to encode these categories into: a,b,c,d,e

The results are expressed in terms of the encoded values.

How do I find out what encoding was used by rpart.  i.e.
what categories in my input set do a, b, c,... correspond to?

thanks,
Prabhakar