[R] Lost graph contents using Copy as metafile

Pikounis, Bill v_bill_pikounis at merck.com
Mon Apr 26 20:47:37 CEST 2004

Dear colleagues:
I use R 1.9.0 on Windows XP. One of my common tasks is to get R graphs into
Word documents.  A open windows() device, almost always trellis.device() for
me, provides great convenience with the right-click shortcut menu item "Copy
as metafile".  I typically have the History > Recording feature turned on as
well.

Since upgrading to 1.9.0, I have experienced an intermittent problem that I
unfortunately cannot reproduce reliably.  Sometime well within a session,
when I use the "Copy as metafile" technique, the resulting paste into a
MS-Word document results in a blank "picture" graph object as it appears in
Word.  The graph's object outline (to resize, move, etc.) can be seen, but
everything inside is lost.  When I try shutting down the current graphics
device and restart a fresh one, the problem does not go away...the graph
looks fine on the R trellis device window, but its contents cannot be copied
and pasted successfully into a Word document. Again, the embedded object is
there, is identified by Word as a picture, but is blank.  If I re-start R,
all is OK again with "Copy as metafile", i.e.. pasting from the on-screen
device into Word is as desired.

Has anyone else encountered this? I am loath to report it as a bug at this
point, since I cannot reliably reproduce it.

Thanks,
Bill

> version

platform i386-pc-mingw32