[R] Error with 1.9.0 - Invalid HOMEDRIVE

David Scott d.scott at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Apr 22 02:33:51 CEST 2004

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004, Brett Melbourne wrote:

> Hi Brian,
>
> R1.9.0 fails with the message  "Fatal error: Invalid HOMEDRIVE" and no
> prompt to send an error report to Microsoft.
>
> R1.8.1 fails with the message "R for Windows GUI front-end has encountered a
> problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience", included
> in a prompt to send an error report to Microsoft.
>
> For both versions, R fails to start at all. I'm running Windows XP Pro, and
> like David Scott I'm supposed to install the XP critical updates as soon as
> they come out, which I did last week.
>
> I suppose, given the other reports of this behaviour, the subject line
> should be "R fails after installing Windows XP updates".

This has been the experience of some users here. The additional
information I can offer is that the update which appears to cause the
problem is

KB835732

There is at least one user here who had the problem with 1.8.1, but can
now run it. He does have the critical update on. He may be working without
network interaction which seems to be another piece of the puzzle from
what I am reading.

David Scott

David Scott	Department of Statistics, Tamaki Campus
		The University of Auckland, PB 92019
		Auckland	NEW ZEALAND
Phone: +64 9 373 7599 ext 86830		Fax: +64 9 373 7000
Email:	d.scott at auckland.ac.nz

Graduate Officer, Department of Statistics